Since before the holidays Grade 4 have been working on a unit about Form and Construction – Mask making.
In this unit grade 4 are really asked to show how they can work through the creative process independently. They need to plan their work according to the assessment criteria and be able to manage their time and resources effectively. Below you can see what is expected of them throughout this unit.
Mask making Project:
• Plan and Create: You are assigned to plan and create a mask for a
• Plan and Create : Your plan will clearly show how you developed
your ideas, step by step.
• Plan and Create : You will decide what is the purpose of your mask
and be able to explain this to others.
• Techniques: Your mask will have additional parts added to it in
order to create new form.
• Techniques: You will apply some collage materials to your mask.
• History & Culture: The elements of art which you use will reflect the type of
ceremony, festival or celebration. You will be able to
explain how you used the elements of art in your work.
• History & Culture: The ‘purpose’ you choose will be clear to your audience.
In groups the students researched mask from around the world to find out how masks are used in different traditions and cultures. The groups made posters, power point presentations and comic life stories to present their research and then shared what they had found with the class.
They then went on to look how the elements of art can be used in mask making to convey a theme or meaning which is suited to the particular purpose of that mask. We looked at a lot of masks and this helped us to come up with ideas for our designs. Take a look at how they are taking shape…….